A suspect in the murder of three Kurds in Paris says he acted out of racism

The suspect in the killing of three Kurds on Friday in central Paris told police he did it because he was “a racist”.

The attack took place shortly before noon on Engin Street, next to a Kurdish cultural institution, in a neighborhood with many bars, shops and residents of this community.

The Public Prosecutor’s Office announced the transfer of the detainee, on Saturday, to the psychiatric infirmary of the Police Directorate, under the pretext that the doctor who examined him a day after the assault decided that his health condition was “incompatible” with the police detention system.

The same source added that the aforementioned system has been removed “from waiting to be presented to the investigating judge when his health condition permits,” explaining that the investigation is still ongoing.

The 69-year-old suspect is a retired train driver with French citizenship, who managed to restrain him by several people before the police intervened.

A source close to the case told AFP on Saturday that his actions during the arrest were in response to the fact that he was a “racist”.

Police are investigating the individual for murder, attempted murder, gun violence, and gun law violations.

Added to this is the “elemental nature” of the facts, i.e. “adverb” [que] The Public Prosecution Service determined that it does not amend the maximum penalty “to which the suspect is subjected,” which remains life imprisonment.

For the time being, the terrorist trail has been ruled out, Paris Prosecutor Laure Pékouaou said on Friday.

The source said that the man was arrested with a “bag” containing “two or three full magazines and a box containing 45 cartridges of caliber, containing at least 25 rounds.”

The dead are a woman and two men, and there are three injuries, one of them seriously, according to the latest budget.

The woman, Emine Kara, was a leader of the Kurdish women’s movement in France, according to the Kurdish Democratic Council in France (CDK-F). The movement’s spokesman, Ajit Polat, said he applied for political asylum, but it was rejected.

The two dead are Abd al-Rahman Kizil, “an ordinary Kurdish citizen” who frequented the association “every day,” and Mir Perwer, a Kurdish artist who is a political refugee, “is being persecuted in Turkey because of his art,” according to CDK-F.

On Saturday, the Paris police chief received representatives of the Kurdish community, at the request of President Emmanuel Macron, who described the attack on Friday as “hate”.

“What we feel is pain and lack of confidence, because this is not the first time this has happened,” said Israa, 23.

Three Kurdish activists were murdered in the same area of ​​Paris in 2013, a crime that caused great shock among the Kurdish diaspora in France.

In the afternoon, after the tribute to the victims gathered several thousand people in Paris, violent episodes took place, according to AFP journalists.

Paris police chief Laurent Nunez told BFMTI:

In Marseille (south), a rally gathered 1,500 people, according to the police headquarters.

And Agence France-Presse pointed out that the demonstration ended in accidents, as at least two police cars were set on fire.

French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said on Friday that the attacker “wanted to attack foreigners” and “clearly acted alone”.

The detainee was known to the police. He had been sentenced in June to 12 months in prison for gun violence in 2016, a sentence he is appealing.

He was also charged in December 2021 with gun violence, premeditation and racism, and property damage for acts committed on December 8, 2021.

In this second case, he was suspected of wounding migrants at a Parisian summer camp and tearing up their tents, a police source said at the time.

After a year in pretrial detention, he was released on December 12, as required by law, and placed on judicial control, according to the Paris prosecutor.

In 2017, he was sentenced to six months in prison for a weapons ban.

The 90-year-old attacker’s father described him as a “really withdrawn” man and said that on the morning of the events he “didn’t say anything when he left”. He added, “He’s crazy.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *